It was on 19th March, 1949 that St. Isabel’s Hospital came into existence, developing in the course of time into a large multi specialty hospital, in which lakhs of people are being treated with care, loving concern, compassion and understanding. The growth of the institution was slow and steady: starting primarily as a maternity service with utmost dedication and professional competence in association with some of the medical stalwarts of yester years – Dr. P.Madhavan , Dr. M. S. Radhakrishnan, Dr. R.S. Rajagopalan and many others. While it is easy today to go high – tech and modern in medicine, it requires great courage and sacrifice to retain the traditional and time- tested human values in the field of health care delivery to the community.
The initial years were difficult when the sisters seeking to mitigate human misery made a lot of sacrifices to alleviate the wounds of the sick and suffering. Their loving, joyful self-giving, generosity and courage were the outcome of their hospitality together with their simplicity combined with competence and efficiency, earned for them the grateful appreciation, love and esteem of all who came in contact with them.
The expansion and consolidation of existing buildings and facilities took place in phased manner under the able leadership of our pioneers and their successors.
At present the hospital has a bed strength of 300 beds with all required facilities and the NABH Accreditation to its credit- The only mission hospital in Tamil Nadu to obtain this!!! It has a band of dedicated and devoted doctors, sisters, staffs and students to cater to the health care needs of all strata of society.