During the II World war, when Chennai was facing its brutal consequences with wounded soldiers, epidemics etc., The FHIC sisters were invited by the late Most Rev. Don Manuel do Medeiros Guereiro, then Bishop of Mylapore to begin a hospital in Chennai. Accordingly 3 courageous and dedicated sisters: Irene, Alzira, Gloria and Maria Da Lourdes Pio volunteered their services and landed in Chennai on 3rd January 1942. They stayed at Santhome for a couple of years and on 19th March 1947 the foundation stone for the convent was blessed by the Bishop of Mylapore and laid by Sr. Alzira, Superior.
The sisters at St. Isabel’s are fully involved in the health ministry, dedicated to a promotion, curative and preventive care in the field of health independently and also in association with the church, government and non-governmental organizations.