College / School of Nursing
HISTORY OF ST. ISABEL HOSPITAL
St. Isabel Hospital had its humble beginning in March 1949. It is financed and managed by the Franciscan Hospitaller Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (FHIC), a Congregation having its Generalate in Portugal.
The establishment from a tiny mustard seed has grown into a wide sheltering tree, winning the appreciation of the people in and around Chennai. The expansion and consolidation of existing buildings and facilities have been added in the succeeding years under the able leadership of our pioneers and their successors.
St. Isabel Hospital is a 290 bedded NABH Accredited Multi Speciality Hospital that caters to the needs of the people in and around Chennai, irrespective of their caste, creed or class. The special features of this institution are – that it provides facilities to suit the financial status of every income group in the community, including the poorest of the poor, who are treated free, with love and dedication.
COLLEGE OF NURSING
Illness, suffering and end of life are menace to existing human life. Keeping this in mind the FHIC Sisters attempted to impart Nursing Education to the poor and marginalized girls, targeting towards building a world of happy, healthy individuals by rendering quality nursing care through superior Nursing Education. In this background, St. Isabel’s School of Nursing was established in 1983 and College of Nursing in 2012 with the motto “LIGHTED TO SERVE.”
A sense of selfless dedication to the service of the sick and suffering humanity is imbibed in each one of us trained here, so as to contribute all in our power to nurse the physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being of those who seek care. The institution continuously strives to instill in the students, the sense of divine and human values, making them ready for any good work.
We Offer,Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery of 3 years and Basic B.Sc (Nursing) of 4 years programmes in accordance with Indian Nursing Council’s syllabus. The St. Isabel’s College of Nursing is affiliated to The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University and our courses are recognized by The Tamilnadu Nurses and Midwives Council and Indian Nursing Council.
The Philosophy of the College of Nursing is derived from the nursing ethos of the Hospital.
We believe that every patient should have quality care for which the nursing student should have a formal educational preparation based on sound educational principles.
We also recognize that the basic course in Nursing prepares young women for first level position and further professional development to give care to the individual, both in the hospital and community for the promotion of health, prevention of illness and cure of diseases.
We believe in the Christian Doctrine and recognize the inviolable dignity of human being and human life.
The Administration and Staff of the institution carefully select the learning experiences for the student so that she acquires knowledge and understanding and develop skills in the art of nursing to prepare her to take up responsibility as a responsible individual, committed citizen and a caring nurse.
St. Isabel’s School & College of Nursing expects the students to hold, support and defend the ethical values and principles of morality. The institution prepares the students for the role of future professional and leaders loyal to the highest ideals of health profession involving both means and developments of improving the quality of life.
St. Isabel’s School & College of Nursing proudly professes the motto “LIGHTED TO SERVE”.
The institution urges the students to search for newer avenues of knowledge and ways to identify the real needs of human being through systematic study and solid research following the principle of “LEARNING IS CONTINUOUS AND ENDLESS”.
On completion of the Basic B.Sc (Nursing) Programme the graduate will be able to:-
1. apply knowledge, develop positive attitude and the skill in rendering a high standard care to patient, family and society irrespective of caste, creed, language, economic status etc.,
2. acquire ongoing professional knowledge by updating latest trends and technology for quality service.
3. uphold the respect for life from the moment of conception to its natural end and provide comprehensive health care to all.
4. value one’s religious belief.
5. imbibe the dimensions of participatory team work.
6. develop the ability to communicate effectively with others and participate effectively as members of the health care team.
7. be aware of her own self growth both personally as well as professionally.
1. The scope of nursing practice embraces health promotion, health protection, health maintenance, health restoration, rehabilitation, and palliation.
2. Nursing practice is directed towards the goal of assisting clients to achieve and maintain optimal health in order to maximize the quality of life across the lifespan.
3. Nursing practice is accomplished through adoption of a holistic approach to care, addressing the biological, psychological, social, and spiritual needs of the clients.
4. Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery (3 years Programme) affords anchorage by proceeding to Post Basic B.Sc Nursing, M.Sc Nursing, M.Phil (N), Doctoral Degree in Nursing and Post-Doctoral Fellowships.
5. Basic B.Sc (Nursing) (4 years Programme) can pave the way towards M.Sc Nursing, M.Phil (N), Doctoral Degree in Nursing and Post-Doctoral Fellowships.
I. COURSE DESCRIPTION:
The course commences from September/October of the academic year and medium of instruction is English. Examination will be conducted in the month of August/September/October of each year by The Board of Examination, Directorate of Medical Education, Chennai.
The course commences from September/ October of the academic year. Medium of instruction is English for all the subjects of study and for the examination. The College of Nursing provides rich clinical experience and students are posted in St. Isabel Hospital, Institute of Mental Health, Rural and Urban Health Posts. University Examinations are conducted in the month of August/ September/ October of each year by The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai.
II. ADMISSION PROCEDURE:
1. Application Form:
Application form and Prospectus can be accessed from the Admission In charge Faculty.
A) Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery – Rs. 500/- by a Demand Draft drawn in favour of St. Isabel’s School of Nursing, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.
B) Basic B.Sc (Nursing) – Rs. 750/- by a Demand Draft drawn in favour of St. Isabel’s College of Nursing, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.
2. Eligibility for admission
• Candidates who have passed the qualifying examination (Higher Secondary) from a recognized Board/ University with Science and non-Science groups and secured not less than 50% aggregate are eligible to apply for the course.
• Candidates who have passed the qualifying examination (Higher Secondary) from a recognized Board/ University with Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English or Physics Chemistry, Botany, Zoology and English with minimum of 50% aggregate are eligible to apply for the course.
3. Only unmarried female candidates can apply.
4. Minimum and maximum age of admission shall be 17 – 25 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
5. The candidates should be medically fit.
6. Candidates who have passed in the 1st attempt only can apply.
III. APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
1. The completed application form should be submitted with the following photocopies:
i. 10th mark sheet.
ii. 12th mark sheet.
iii. Transfer Certificate from the School or College.
iv. Community Certificate.
v. Latest Income Certificate.
vi. Medical Fitness Certificate.
vii. Migration Certificate (for candidates who have completed the qualifying exam from the states other than Tamilnadu).
viii. Baptism Certificate (for Catholics).
ix. Certificate of participation in Co – curricular and Extra – Curricular activities.
2. Admission is subject to verification of mark sheet by The Directorate of Government Examinations and if the certificate is found to be bogus, admission remains cancelled besides criminal action.
3. Application with incomplete information and not accompanied by required documents as mentioned above will be summarily rejected.
4. The filled in application form with the recent passport size photograph should be sent to:
ST. ISABEL’S COLLEGE OF NURSING,
No. 49, Oliver Road, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.
5. Application fee once paid will not be refunded.
1. Candidates will be notified by post or over telephone about the written test and personal interview.
2. Candidates will appear for an entrance test followed by a personal interview in the College of Nursing.
3. The list of selected candidates will be displayed on the College notice board.
a) Candidate found unfit to continue the course due to any major illness will be asked to discontinue the studies at any time.
b) Donation is not accepted by the institution.
c) The selected candidates are required to sign a letter of acceptance and pay the first-year fee on the day of admission.
d) The fee structure is liable to change at any time bearing in mind the prevalent inflation.
e) Examination fee will be collected separately at the time of Board Examination [DGNM]/ University Examination [Basic B.Sc (N)] as per the Board/University norms.
f) Additional fee, if any will be notified on the notice board a month before the due date.
g) Fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances. If the candidate decides to discontinue the course, she is expected to pay the balance years fee too.
h) Candidates who do not receive any intimation regarding the entrance test and interview should consider that they have not been selected. The college will not entertain any correspondence in this matter.